Do You Want to Join Our Board?
For more information on our board and our selection process, visit Our Board.
- Our Board functions as an administrative board. It’s primary function is to provide fiduciary oversight on behalf of the community we serve and our financial supporters. While board members typically involve themselves in select Blue Ridge Pride activities, they do so outside their board role and under the leadership of the Executive Director.
- There are no explicit fundraising requirements of board members. We find that such commitments limit the ability of some in our community to participate. We assume that board members will find ways to demonstrate their commitment to the team’s mission.
- Typically, board members are assigned to oversee and support one of our teams (e.g., advocacy, events, community service). This does not mean that they need to fulfill any operational roles. They are there to provide advice and policy-level oversight.
- Members are elected to serve a three-year term. They may serve a maximum of six consecutive years.
- The board meets once a month for two hours (currently, the 2nd Monday of each month, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm). Board members are expected to attend a minimum of ten meetings a year (with two absences excused by the President).
- The time commitment can vary considerably, depending on a board member’s appetite for getting involved in specific activities. Here are some guidelines: Board Meetings: 2 hours per month; Board Communications / Meeting Pre-reads / 1-2 hours per month; Team Liaison: 1-2 hours per month; Volunteering: Board members are required to volunteer for the annual festival and to attend or support one event or function per quarter.