Join the WNC LGBTQ Oral History Project!
- Share Your Story
- Capture Others’ Stories
- Contribute Photos, Videos, Artifacts
- Join Our Editorial Team
- Named or Anonymous Interviews
- Individuals, Couples, Groups, Organizations
- We provide equipment & training
- Allies are welcome, too!
The LGTBQ Oral History Archive project is a collaboration of the Blue Ridge Pride Center, YMCA of Western NC, and UNC Asheville. Together, we aim to document a richer, fuller, and more inclusive history of our region by recording the stories and memories of individuals who have spent much of their lives in the South. We hope, too, that these interviews will contribute to a large-scale needs assessment and asset mapping for LGBTQ communities in our area. The interviews will be stored in UNC Asheville Ramsey Library’s Special Collections. Where permissions allow, we plan to create an interactive media platform and to feature outtakes and articles on Blue Ridge Pride Center’s soon-to-be-launched WNC virtual LGBTQ Center.
Oral History Workshop Preparation
- Download Workshop Handout
- Read the chapter “Learning to Listen” from the Oral History Reader (nice examples of actual interviews and how interviewers unintentionally interrupt the memory process).
- Review one or more of the oral history online archives (links on Oral History home page). Notice how the archives are organized and which LGBT+ issues are represented; experience / listen to some of the stories. We’ll hear some of these during the workshop too.
Related Oral History Libraries
- LGBT Oral History Hub – Fairly comprehensive listing of LGBTQ oral history libraries – from which many of the listings below come.
- Country Queers – multimedia project documenting the diverse experiences of rural and small town LGBTQIA folks in the US
- Ozarks Lesbian and Gay Archives Oral History Project– 150 interviews with area residents
- Queer Appalachia Oral History Project-18 interviews of LGBTQ people in Central Appalachia/Eastern Kentucky
- ACT UP Oral History Project – Video interviews of surviving members of AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, New York
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network Oral Histories – Collection indexed by faith, subject, geography
- African American AIDS Activism Oral History Project – Documenting the struggle against HIV and AIDS in black communities.
- Lesbian Herstory Archives, Herstories Audiovisual Collection – ~ 3,000 audio and 950 video.
- Archives of Lesbian Oral Testimony – inclusive of Two Spirit, queer, bisexual, and lesbian women, transmen, and others
- Rainbow History – Preserving history of LGBT community in metropolitan Washington DC.
- New York City Trans Oral History Project – documents transgender resistance and resilience in New York City.
- OUTWORDS – first project to travel America recording the stories of LGBTQ pioneers and elders
- Oregon State Queer Archives – experiences of LGBTQ+ people within the OSU and Corvallis communities
- Milwaukee Transgender Oral History Project – 7 Interviews from 2011